Thursday 16 June 2011

Cree Syllabics

I use Cree syllabics to teach the sounds in Cree.  I have found a syllabic font that I can use to type out syllabics on the computer and it is called Ma ko ni kun.  I can only use it on my old laptop and I have to find a way to take it out of there to transfer it to my new laptop.  I do not know how to do this yet, so if there is anyone out there who can give me advice.  Please write your expertise in my blog. 

The basic sounds in Cree are in the syllabics and they are:
e- as in egg
i- as in pig
o-as in foot
u-as in pug
a-as in apple

Just add the consonants sounds with these vowels sounds.
These are some examples I could give you:    u tim  (dog),  mo swu (moose),  mi sit (foot), u li ko chas (squirrel)
I have included a picture of a syllabic chart for you to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment